The list below offers a little more insight into some of the many health benefits of acai.
1. Heart HealthSimilar to red wine, research shows that acai berries are extremely high in anthocyanins, a form of plant antioxidant associated with the ability to lower cholesterol levels in the blood stream. They are also rich in plant sterols that provide cardio-protective benefits to our cells. It does this by preventing blood clots, improving overall blood circulation, and relaxing the blood vessels.
2. Antiviral, Antibacterial & Anti-Parasitic AgentScientists from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro have shown that consuming acai extract can help fight both viral and parasitic infections. However, I would personally recommend Oregano Oil for this same task.
3. Aids in Weight LossKnown by nutritionists as a super-food, acai may help us not only lose weight, but maintain a healthy weight. One interesting study from the National Institutes of Aging found that pulp from the acai berry had the ability to reduce the negative effects of a high-fat diet in laboratory studies on flies.
4. Promotes Skin HealthCurrently, many modern beauty products are carrying acai oil, again due to the oil’s high antioxidant content. What is more, acai oil is a great natural alternative to chemical based skin-care products that harm the skin in the long-run. Taken internally, the berries can also give your skin a healthier glow. In fact, Brazilians have been eating acai berries for centuries to treat skin conditions.
7. Helps with Digestive UpsetTaking acai may also aid in keeping our digestive system clean and in optimal function. The berries have powerful detoxification capacities in the human body and is a well-known traditional source of dietary fiber. Of course, there are many other high fiber foods that can do the same thing, including many other types of berries.
3. Anti-Allergenic SubstanceAcai berries contain anti-inflammatory properties that may prevent the typical inflammation response associated with allergic reactions.
4. Improved Cellular HealthOn a general level, the anthocyanins found in acai play a role in our cellular protection system, helping to keep cells strong against the invasion of free radicals.
8. May Help Prevent CancerAcai is very high in Vitamin C and ellagic acid, an immune-system-boosting combination that has been shown to suppress the growth of cancer. One study published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry found that polyphenolic compounds extracted from acai could reduce cancer cell proliferation by 56-86%. It is thought that acai’s phytochemcials can stop the process of carcinogenesis on a molecular level, killing off tumorous cells before they multiply. Acai is particularly indicated for the prevention of prostate enlargement.
9. Anti-Aging Effects
10. Boost in EnergyDue its overall health benefits, taking acai extract can lead to an increased overall level of energy and stamina, and may aid to combat fatigue and exhaustion. Whenever you need a boost, simply eat a handful of berries and you will be ready to go in no time!
11. Better SexThis famous red berry has also been linked to overall increased blood circulation in the human body, a phenomenon that may contribute to a boost in sex drive, especially for men.
12. Improves Mental FunctionPreliminary research studies show that acai may prevent mental imbalance in menopausal women.
If possible, try to buy locally grown, organically-certified Acai. Not only are they safer, but taste better too. If you can’t find acai berries, another good source of antioxidant fruits are goji berries.